This story was pretty messed up if you think about it, but I found it fascinating. In the typical sci-fi way we're getting thrown into a whole new world and get lost towards the beginning. We have to sort of pick up all of the clues and decipher them. Although, in this case, there really isn't all that much being explained, most of it is left to the imagination. I like that, it leaves the reader free to fill in their own gaps and picture what the Tilc look like for example, I personally keep picturing Waternoose from Pixar's Monster's Inc.

Pregnancy has always been something that scares me, not just because of the thought of creating another life and having to take care of it, but also because of all the complications that can go wrong and the pain that's involved during labor. I don't take medication unless I'm absolutely forced to, and so I know that if I ever do decide to have children that I would do it drug-free, which will make it even more painful. Childbearing is something unique for women that men will never, as far as we know, experience. The story plays on the concept of male pregnancy where it's typically the males that are the hosts for the Tilc eggs until it's time for their "labor" of sorts. Since men don't have the necessary equiptment to deliver anything, the men are ripped open c-section style.


The story itself is also a coming-of-age tale about the main character Gan. The story begins even on his "last night of childhood," because the events that follow act as a sort of rite of passage. He was brought up and destined to bear the young of T'Gatoi, but it's obvious that he has a choice in the matter since his sister is more than willing to do it in his place. I think that, in a way, the decision he makes in the end is because he's jealous at the thought of his sister being intimate with T'Gatoi. I found it interesting how in class we started talking abut their relationship in term of teenagers being dramatic, and it is exploitative in a way.

A large question that I had was whether or not the relationship between Gan and T'Gatoi can be considered incestuous since they're considered half-siblings; T'Gaoi was "taken from [Gan's] father's flesh when he was [Gan's] age." They are difference species, and Gan will be more of host much like a virus, so it may not be in physical terms. But incest is more of a cultural thing.

I would also like to hear more from men and what they think of the story. I think it'd be more impactful on them than us women in a sense, in part because we already know that if we want children what we're in for.